Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Help!

I don't know what to do about birth control after I have surgery in a couple weeks. ugh! It is so contradictory for me, someone who has struggled to conceive for a long time, to go on birth control. I don't really want to go on any kind of hormonal birth control, but I dont know what all my other alternatives are and which would be best for me. What about a copper IUD? Family planning (charting, tracking cervical mucus, preventing when fertile)? Diaphragm? Condom? I just don't know!

I definitly DO NOT want to get pregnant until my doctors say it is OK, so I want to make sure to use the best form FOR ME. But, I just dont know what to do. ugh. I dont want to mess with my fertility, which is why I shy away from taking ANYTHING with hormones.

HELP ME, my friends!

6 comments:

  1. You are correct about not using hormonal birth control, stay away from that! I would go the Diaphragm + Condom route. That way, you will know if your cycle changes at all. Because isn't that what we are all praying for, for you? That you will ovulate on your own and have perfect cycles? I wouldn't mess with that in any way. AND if you are doing diaphragm and condom and you end up PG...it wasn't YOU it was the Universe. Well, the universe AND you AND Aaron actually. :)

    But that's just me. :) Good Luck honey! i am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say Condom. I've never done birth control, just condom and all 3 of our pregnancies were planned. And it will help you figure out your monthly cycle without taking anything. Your body as natural as it should be, a better chance of getting pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must you post stuff like this to your blog? Some things should stay in the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte ThompsonJune 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM

    Robin, I have only one ovary because of PCOS. I had a cyst the size of a football on my right ovary when I was 23. I had it removed because it hurt me. Anyway, they started me on birth control because when you ovulate, it forms a bubble. For most people this bubble goes away on its own. For people like us, it does not. Lucky for me, I ovulate well on my own (5 pregnancies in 7 years, resulting in 3 children). Being on the birth control allowed the cysts to shrink/not exist so when I did ovulate, the egg could go where it needed to go.

    Plus, there are all the "extra" benefits: regular cycle, clearer skin, etc.

    Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm praying God leads you to the right decision for you and your body. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, I say natural family planning combined with the Today Sponge. You know me, I would never advocate chemical birth control methods for someone with our issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Family Awareness Method and a barrier method (condom, diaphragm, sponge) That's what I intend to do if I get preggers again because I do NOT want to go on hormones ever again.

    However, I have heard of what Charlotte mentioned how BCP can prevent cysts in women with PCOS. You should probably confirm with your doc.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete