Monday, June 28, 2010

One Week Post- Op

hi there! Sorry I havn't been doing much updating. Sitting at the computer is definitly not the most comfortable spot in the house at the moment. So, I guess I will start at the beginning to get you all up-to-date!

As I told you in my last post, I had to take some magnesium the night before to "clean my system out." and boy did it! HAHAHAHA I lost a few pounds just from Sunday to Monday because my system was so.... clear! Aaron, mom and I dot to kaiser very early at 6:30 am and started the whole checking in process. Everything seemed to go really quickly on my end at that point. I got changed into hospital garb, got my IV started, answered all the question (there's a looooong list she had to ask), met with the anesthesiologist, met with Dr Dennen and off I went to the OR! Mom and Aaron later told me it took my Doctor longer than usual to do my surgery, the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (The Sleeve), because I have a 'J' shaped stomach as opposed to the 'normal' crescent shape. Who knew!?

I don't remember much from the recovery room, really the first thing I remember was when they were moving me into my room. I was very uncomfortable from my abdomen being full of gas. Oh my goodness! It was the WORST. After a little while they wanted me to get up and around, so I went for a walk around the floor and then I sat up for a good 2 hours. Mom and Aaron took turns rubbing my back to help the gas come up. That helped SOOOO much. Getting up and around, sitting in a chair and being "burped" was all it took to make me feel a whole lot better.

By Tuesday, I was ready to get out of there, but they wanted to make sure I would be ok putting food in my tummy so I had to stay. I had two meals of "clear liquid" consisting of a whopping 3 oz of liquid. Then they moved me to "full liquid" for dinner, which was 1oz of cream soup, 1oz of pudding, and 1 oz of jello. I kept it all down so we were able to head home. I almost forgot... my Dr also wanted to do this special x-ray to make sure I didn't have any leaks on my sleeve. They made me drink this horrible concoction then turned me upside down (literally) while they took pictures of my stomach. Everything looked perfect!

now, at a week out, I have been recovering well. Every day I feel a little bit better, so that's good. I did not envision the recovery being this slow, but I guess it is to be expected when I had 80% of my stomach removed! haha

I am on a "full liquid" diet consisting of cream soups (strained), broth, pudding, jello, yogurt, cottage cheese, Popsicles, etc. I eat approx 1/2 cup of food at each meal and then do a protein drink in between each meal (has to have at least 25g of protein.) Plus all my supplements and medications.

The most interesting/different/difficult part so far has been taking pills. I used to be able to just take a handful of pills with a few gulps of water and be done with it. Now I have to take one at a time with only a tiny sip of water (it is very uncomfortable to take more than a small sip) and I can feel the pill(s) moving through my sleeve. It's a very odd feeling which I am told will not bother me any more once the staple line along my stomach has healed.

I have six incisions where they put the scope and instruments through. Most are about 1/2 inch long, two are longer at about 1.5 inches. The tape came off the one on my belly button this weekend and opened up, so I had to get some steri strips and close it back up.

As far as activity goes, I try to do more every day. The first few days I walked around the neighborhood a bit and one time went too far which made me hurt. But, now I try to go out and run errands with my husband every day to walk around stores, drop mail at the post office, etc. Last evening I even went to a drum and bugle corp. competition! I was VERY tired and sore by the end, but it was very fun. I came straight home and took a cold shower and then iced my tummy while I watched 'Drop Dead Diva.'

oh, I guess I should also mention I did weigh in today and I am now 259.2 lb !! I am very excited to be in the 250s. It has been a LOOOOOOOOONG time. I was able to go through my stash of clothes I have kept around for "when I lose weight" so I have a whole 'new' wardrobe to wear. Very fun! Here's the updated pics: 1 week Post Op!


  1. OMG Robin! Wow. First the surgery and look amazing! Congrats and I am very happy you are feeling better! Just Wow...and HUGS! Gentle hugs I mean! Love you! Congrats again!

  2. Wow!! I can't believe how well you are doing!Keep up the good work. I am so happy for you and your accomplishments... Keep it up... Love hearing your updates!
    Angela Cox

  3. Wow! You are really dedicated, girl! You're taking charge of your health and looking FABULOUS! Glad you're starting to get up and about and everything is going so well after the procedure. Gentle hugs from me too. Love ya!

  4. I'm so happy for you! You look awesome and I'm sure every pound lost is a step towards what this was all for...babymaking! You've done so great and I just say keep it up!

  5. Charlotte ThompsonJuly 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM

    You look amazing!!! I can't even imagine what you're going through, but you seem to be doing it with strength and grace. God bless you and Aaron!